Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get a free copy of the "2020 Coronavirus Tax Summary"
and "2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act Summary"
Tax Treatment of Life Insurance ProceedsCode: 21-TAXINS
Add to Cart
Add to Cart
Course description and objectives:
In this course we will look at the tax treatment given proceeds from life insurance policies and will consider the taxation of death benefits, cash value withdrawals, loans and surrenders. In addition, we will examine the differences in tax treatment caused by a life insurance policy’s:
- Failure to meet the statutory definition of life insurance;
- Being deemed a modified endowment contract;
- Transfer of ownership to another person for a valuable consideration;
- Sale in a viatical or life settlement transaction;
- Ownership by an employer; and
- Use in a qualified retirement plan.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Calculate the gain to be recognized as a result of various life insurance policy
transactions, including –
- surrrenders, and
- payment of death benefits
- Identify the changes to the customary tax treatment of life insurance policy living
proceeds resulting from the policy being deemed a modified endowment contract
- Calculate the reportable gain upon receipt of life insurance policy death benefits when
the life insurance policy –
- has been transferred for a valuable consideration, or
- was included in a qualified plan;
- Recognize the types of life insurance exchanges that are tax-free under IRC §1035;
- Define the terms “terminally-ill” and “chronically-ill” as used in the Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act; and
- Identify the income tax treatment of accelerated death benefits, viatical settlements
and life settlements.
CPE credit: 2 Hours
Program Level: Update
Advance Preparation: None
Exam expiration date: Participants must submit exams for grading within one year from the date of purchase
For more information regarding refunds, complaints, or cancellation policies, please contact our offices at 817-477-0222.
American CPE, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors at their website, www.NASBARegistry.org
NASBA Sponsor number 108096
No reviews yet.